Thursday, May 3, 2007

Salary of a stay-at-home-mom

I'm usually not one to ramble about what's going on in the news, but I found the following information to be quite interesting. Salary.com recently put out a report on the "price of a stay at home mom", or what their salary would be if they actually got paid for all the work that the do. They found that a mom's salary would be $138,095! Wow! Now, from what I've gathered from when my mom stayed home with me and my brothers, this is definitely at least what a stay-at-home mom should be paid, if not a little low (they should probably get paid way more for the responsibilities they have). Mom's who stay home do so much! They're not only doing all of the cleaning and running errands, but they're also shaping the futures of their children at such a critical time in their lives. They're helping to mold them into the young men and women that they will become. Now, in my opinion that's not only the hardest job anyone could ever have...but the most important and the one with the most responsibility. I wish more mother's would choose to stay at home with their children and see how important it is to be with your children while they're still young and so impressionable.

In doing this report, Salary.com used 10 jobs that moms do on most days to help decide what their salary should be. These jobs were: housekeeper, day care center teacher, cook, computer operator, laundry machine operator, janitor, facilities manager, van driver, CEO and psychologist. They also took into account the overtime that mom's put in and rounded it to be about 92 hours a week or so. WOW! That's 52 hours of overtime! I definitely think all that mom's do goes unappreciated most of the time. All I can say is, "Thanks Mom for all you did when you stayed home with us as we were young, and all you continue to do even today!" :)

No comments: