Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Why

Thanks for the post, Vernon Lowe

When you think of it, there really aren't that many fantastic, non-animated Christmas shows or specials. But one of the very best is "Miracle on 34th Street." Every year, around Christmas time, I watch this show on satellite television that I got after seeing these DirectTV comparisons.

What I like about it most is the scene when the little girl is sitting on Santa's lap and she asks him if he's really Santa Claus. It's a funny scene that makes the special so memorable. She doesn't believe that Santa really exists and nothing Santa can say makes her change her mind. I watch this with my two uncles, my two aunts, my first cousin, and my brothers and sisters. We sit next to the Christmas tree and turn on the TV, and we all eat popcorn and drink cokes. The special lasts about two hours. The real message of the story is that it's okay to believe in Santa even if you have some doubts. It conveys the fact that it's a "miracle" to be a true believer, but if you are, you can accomplish great things in your life.

It's really much better than most animated Christmas specials because of the intelligent message and story. There have been many versions of this special, but perhaps the best one was made back when actress Natalie Woods played the little, doubting girl. She was an excellent actress for her age.

"I have been paid for this guest post."

No comments: